Social media marketing is a big question mark for most law firms in 2024. Do you need it? Which social media platform should you choose? How do you keep your strictly professional brand voice and continue to build credibility while attracting prospective clients online?
We often get asked these questions by our clients not only in Chicago but all around the world. The growing popularity of social media platforms makes it important to choose the best channel to connect with prospects for your law firm. However, not all law firm’s social media strategies are the same.
Therefore, we want to go through some of the best strategies you can use to improve the social media marketing efforts for your legal business.
Benefits of Social Media for Lawyers
Before we dive into best practices for your social media strategy, there is one important question that needs an answer: what exactly is in it for you, for an attorney? Does good social media management propel you forward in the legal industry?
1. Social Media Gets You More Clients
Exposure to a larger audience helps you get more potential clients. In a study, conducted by American Bar Association, it was found, that 35% of attorneys who focused their efforts on improving their social media presence managed to get more new clients overall. And for small business news are even better: 42% managed to broaden their clientele.
2. An Engaged Client Is a Happy Client
Discourse and engagement are at the core of almost all social media platforms. So, if you are able to provide your target audience with interesting and engaging content, answer questions, and resolve issues, if you manage to be not just a ‘soulless brand’ you will improve your brand awareness online and may even succeed in building a community.
3. Work with Social Media Drastically Improves Your SEO
This is also a very tangible benefit. There is a clear correlation between social media signals and better results when it comes to search engine rankings, especially when implementing effective SEO for lawyers. Social media activity can enhance even your franchise SEO. Also, Google continues improving its engine and it incorporates more things like social media feed in search results. This may lead to better visibility for your legal business online.
So, is social media marketing still important for lawyers in 2024? The answer is a resounding, “YES!” With this in mind, we’ve compiled some important strategies law firms can leverage this year and beyond.
Delivering Business Results: Our Digital Marketing Case Studies
Important: Lawyer Social Media Ethical Considerations
When utilizing social media marketing for law firms, it is crucial to pay close attention to the important ethical considerations that lawyers must adhere to. These considerations help maintain professionalism, protect client confidentiality, and uphold the integrity of the legal profession. Here are some key ethical considerations to keep in mind:
- Confidentiality and privilege: Protect client confidentiality; avoid sharing info that breaches it. Don’t disclose case or client details without authorization.
- Advertising rules: Comply with social media advertising rules. Provide accurate info about your firm; avoid false or misleading statements.
- Avoiding conflict of interest: Avoid conflicts of interest. Be mindful of connections, affiliations, or endorsements that create conflicts.
- Maintaining professionalism: Be professional on social media. Avoid heated debates and offensive remarks. Maintain respect and courtesy in interactions.
By being mindful of these important ethical considerations, law firms can effectively navigate social media marketing while upholding their professional responsibilities. Adhering to ethical guidelines ensures that lawyers maintain their credibility, protect client interests, and avoid any potential legal or reputational issues, ultimately saving money by avoiding unnecessary complications or disciplinary actions.
Comrade Digital Marketing Agency can help you with the above if you’re unsure how to go about it. Schedule a free consultation.
8 Social Media Marketing Strategies for Law Firms in 2024
1. What Are the Best Social Media Platforms?
The first step is to find a channel you should focus your effort on for social media. Which social media platform you choose for connecting with your audience depends on the type of law you practice. We recommend a specific set of platforms to each of our clients. For example, a divorce lawyer offers a business-to-client service, which makes Facebook a much better choice than LinkedIn.
However, if your law firm provides legal services to small businesses LinkedIn would be the platform to focus on for B2B. Typically, legal social media is best done on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram, though you could also be utilizing YouTube if you have the capability to provide consistent and relevant video content and build credibility through it. If you’re thinking that you have more important things to do, consider the fact that your competitors are probably already on YouTube.
Speaking of videos, according to marketing industry influencer Krista Neher, the human brain can process images up to 60,000 times faster than words. That means you can convey the same message in a 30-second video as you can in a 30-page e-book. Which one do you think your distracted prospects are more likely to engage with?
And what about TikTok? While you may think TikTok has no place in digital marketing strategy for your law firm, even the zany video-based social media app has its place in the reality of law firm marketing. In fact, some very compelling examples can be found here.
The bottom line is that, whichever platform you choose, you can use the social network to connect with and help solve problems in people’s daily lives.
2. How Do You Define Your Target Audience?
Defining your target audience is a crucial step in utilizing social media marketing strategies for law firms. By identifying and understanding your target audience, you can tailor your social media efforts to reach the right people, maximize engagement, and save valuable resources.
To define your target audience effectively, start by conducting thorough market research. Analyze your current client base and identify common characteristics such as demographics, interests, and legal needs. This information will help you create buyer personas that represent your ideal clients. Consider factors such as age, location, occupation, industry, and legal challenges they might be facing.
Once you have a clear understanding of your target audience, it’s time to align your social media content and messaging accordingly. Craft content that resonates with your audience’s needs, pain points, and interests. Use appropriate language, tone, and visuals that appeal to your target demographic. By consistently delivering valuable and relevant content through social media platforms, you can position your law firm as an authority in your field and build trust with your target audience.
Additionally, take advantage of social media analytics tools to track and analyze the performance of your content. Pay attention to engagement metrics such as likes, comments, shares, and click-through rates. These insights will help you refine your social media strategies, optimize your content, and ensure you are effectively reaching your target audience.
By defining your target audience and tailoring your social media marketing efforts accordingly, law firms can maximize their online presence, attract the right clients, and ultimately save money by focusing their resources on the most promising leads.
3. How Do You Choose an Appropriate Content Strategy for Your Law Firm?
Base your content marketing for law firms on the posts your prospects want on specific social networks. Start by creating a content calendar that covers how many posts you create per week and what types of content you use. On Facebook, you have the option to create live videos. For lawyers with audiences on Twitter and Instagram, you can post more images.
The best content for your firm varies based on your audience. The key is to create educational content your customers can enjoy, so they have a better understanding of why they should work with you. If you want to personalize your brand to customers, then you need to pull back the curtain on your firm. The obvious thing to remember is that any sensitive materials cannot be in your social media posts.
Behind-the-scenes shots of your paralegals and attorneys earn trust with your prospects. Customers want to know what type of service they buy. Often this means they want to see attorneys hard at work, and not waste time playing golf at 11 AM on a Tuesday. Unless of course, you represent Golf Clubs. Then, by all means, take as many photos as you can playing golf. The behind-the-scenes content should connect you with your prospects. Therefore, take photos and videos you believe you would want in their position.
4. Experimenting with Content
In order to effectively use social media marketing for law firms, it’s crucial to experiment with different types of content to find what resonates best with your audience. Here are key strategies to consider:
- Finding the best content format: Explore formats like articles, videos, infographics, and live sessions to discover what works for your audience. Consider preferences, demographics, and legal topics. Experiment to understand audience consumption and engagement.
- Testing content types: Identify preferred formats, then conduct A/B tests on different content types within those formats. For videos, try various styles, lengths, and topics. Refine social media strategy based on higher engagement and audience resonance.
- Analyzing engagement metrics: Regularly analyze metrics like likes, shares, comments, click-through rates, and time spent on content. Gain insights into success and identify high-engagement topics and formats. Use social media tools for tracking and data-driven decisions to optimize content strategy.
Experimenting with content formats, testing different types, and analyzing engagement metrics are essential strategies for law firms to refine their social media marketing efforts. By understanding what resonates with their audience, lawyers can save money by focusing their resources on creating and promoting content that consistently generates higher engagement and lawyer leads to increased visibility and client acquisition.
5. How Do You Seamlessly Integrate Social Media into Your Marketing Mix?
Your social media marketing strategy should not stand alone. Instead, you need to connect it with other components of your marketing strategy.
For example, if you hold education seminars for clients, then share the event information on social media. You can share a post ahead of time to let prospects know how to register. Then you can share videos after the seminar, so you get a higher return from the time you spent creating the workshop.
Effective social media marketing is a vital component to search engine optimization email marketing.
Often, attorneys connect with prospects via social media accounts and drive them to their email list. That way, you can follow up with people who need your help.
6. How Do You Create a Seamless Brand Experience?
Creating a seamless brand experience on social media is crucial for lawyers and law firms looking to save money and solve their marketing challenges. A seamless brand experience ensures consistency across all social media platforms, reinforcing your firm’s professionalism, expertise, and unique value proposition. To achieve this, start by establishing brand guidelines, including visual elements like logos, colors, and fonts, as well as a consistent tone of voice that aligns with your firm’s values and target audience.
When creating content for social media, tailor it to each platform while maintaining a cohesive brand identity. Customize your profiles with professional headshots, a well-crafted bio, and relevant contact information. Share valuable legal insights, industry updates, and thought leadership content that resonates with your target audience. Engage with followers by responding promptly to comments, messages, and inquiries, demonstrating your commitment to client service.
Utilize features like Facebook Live, Instagram Stories, or LinkedIn videos to provide behind-the-scenes glimpses of your firm’s work, introduce team members, or share client success stories. This humanizes your brand and fosters a stronger connection with your audience.
Consistently monitor and analyze your social media performance using analytics tools to refine your strategy and optimize content. By creating a seamless brand experience on social media, lawyers can establish credibility, attract new clients, and save money by leveraging the cost-effective power of social media marketing.
7. How to Build Trust and Develop Your Law Firm’s Brand
Building trust and developing your law firm’s brand through social media is essential for lawyers looking to save money and solve their problems. Here are three key strategies to achieve this:
- Establishing thought leadership through valuable content: Position your law firm as an authoritative source by sharing valuable and informative content on social media platforms. Create social media posts, articles, and videos that address common legal issues, provide insights, and offer practical tips. By consistently sharing high-quality content, you can demonstrate your expertise and build trust with your audience, ultimately attracting potential clients who see you as a reliable legal resource.
- Engaging with online communities and influencers: Social media provides an opportunity to engage with online communities and influencers relevant to your legal practice. Participate in discussions, answer legal questions, and offer helpful advice in relevant groups and forums. Collaborate with influencers in your field by sharing their content, mentioning them in your posts, or even co-creating content. This active engagement helps you establish connections, expand your reach, and enhance your law firm’s visibility and credibility within the legal community.
- Cultivating a positive online reputation and reviews: Social media platforms allow you to cultivate a positive online reputation by actively managing your presence and encouraging client reviews. Respond promptly and professionally to comments and inquiries from followers, showcasing your commitment to client satisfaction. Encourage satisfied clients to share their positive experiences through online reviews. Positive reviews on social media platforms can significantly influence potential clients’ decision-making, helping you attract new clients and save money on traditional advertising methods.
By implementing these social media strategies, lawyers can effectively build trust, develop their law firm’s brand, and establish a strong online presence. This, in turn, can lead to cost savings through increased client acquisition, improved reputation, and enhanced visibility within the legal community.
8. How Do You Interpret and Analyze Your Results?
To increase your results in the future, you must evaluate how your campaigns worked in the past. This analysis requires a thorough audit of your social media strategy.
Determine what the key metrics are for your law firm, and then track how you perform in these areas every month. The more social media data you collect, the more you can improve your marketing campaigns.
A few common metrics to evaluate include:
- Engagement (Likes, Shares, Comments)
- Number of private messages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram)
- Website link clicks
- Number of Net new followers (new followers minus unfollows)
- How many clients converted from social media channels
- Which post performed the best each month
For example, using the metrics above, you can track a Facebook Ad to determine how many people visited a specific website landing page. Then set a goal to see how many visitors came to your Thank You page after filling out your form.
Google Analytics gives you the ability to determine the traffic source for these prospects.
Additionally, you can integrate call tracking software into Google Analytics. Then you can track prospects from Facebook to their first call to your office.
By understanding these numbers, you can determine the effectiveness of your social media efforts.
Social media is not a fad. For many law firms, it is an excellent addition to their current marketing strategy.
If you need help marketing your law firm, then contact Comrade Digital Marketing today at 312-265-0580 for a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is social media marketing worth for law firms worth it?
Yes, yes, yes, million times yes! A good social media strategy can help you get more new clients, improve brand awareness, even build a community! Moreover, a connection between social media and SEO will help your overall search engine rankings.
What is the best social media channel for lawyers?
It depends on what exactly you want to achieve and what type of content you want to produce. Twitter is a good place for answering questions and giving advice, while YouTube can be a great place to post long-form video content. Whichever platform you choose, you can use the social network to connect with and help solve problems in people’s daily lives.
Is it hard to understand if your attorney social media strategy is working?
It's not if you know where to look. A few common metrics to evaluate include engagement, number of private messages, clicks, number of net new followers, client conversion. By understanding these numbers, you can determine the effectiveness of your social media efforts.
In what cities do you work?
Comrade originates in Chicago, but we worked all around the United States. We can help your business grow and increase revenue whenever you are. We have offices across most major cities in the US. For example, we can offer digital marketing services in Houston or San Francisco. You can even find our internet marketing experts in Indianapolis! If you want to know more about our New York digital marketing agency or find out how exactly we can help you, contact us via the phone or email.